I have a sweet tooth and it’s stronger than I am. That’s really not saying much considering I can barely bench 100, but I’m trying to improve on that in the gym! Which is why I need a healthy recipe to satisfy a craving that I have to suppress like the tinnitus all millennials have from listening to music too loud.
As with all my issues in life, I googled “Healthy Cookie Recipe” and I came across this blog post from Joy Food Sunshine for Healthy No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies. After looking at the ingredients list, I set my sites on Target (where else would I go? A grocery store?) to get my missing ingredients.
Turns out, some of the items required to cook this are kind of pricey. For example, a jar of coconut oil cost 9.99 which is 3 times the cost of those really good Milano cookies and I can get 3 different flavors! But you have to make sacrifices for health, right? In this case it’s literally my money. Everything else is either something you’d typically have or cheap like cocoa powder.
The cooking process was easy. But I didn’t know no-bake excluded other cooking process like turning on a stove. Which is intimidating to me, Okay!? But it’s really just to heat the peanut butter to allow for mixing easily. After all the materials are mixed together, it’s actually just plopping the concoction onto a cooking sheet and sticking it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
The result? A not so appetizing but delicious way to satisfy a sweet tooth. They’re not exactly like a cookie, I’d say. There’s something to miss about the typical firmness or chewiness of a cookie. But the consistency of this cookie is rich and firm enough to feel like you’re biting into something resembling a cookie and you don’t mind it!
ALL THAT BEING SAID, I miss COOKIES!! I miss ice cream (don’t even speak of Halo Top in my presence). I miss sugary lattes. I miss cinnamon buns from the mall food court. I miss unhealthy foods!! But, I digress. If you’re looking to keep your addiction to sugar at bay, this should help.
Check out the recipe here:
• ½ cup creamy peanut butter
• ¼ cup honey (or maple syrup for vegan)!
• ¼ cup coconut oil measured in solid state.
• 2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
• ¼ tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 cup quick cooking oats
• ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper, set aside.
2. Combine peanut butter, honey salt and coconut oil in a saucepan and heat, stirring continuously, until melted and well-combined.
3. Stir in vanilla and cocoa powder.
4. Add quick-cooking oats and mix well.
5. Add coconut and stir until completely combined.
6. Drop 1 TBS portions of mixture onto your prepared baking sheet. Continue until you’ve used all your cookie mixture.
7. Let cool in the refrigerator or freezer until hardened.
8. Serve cold or frozen!
9. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator!
Good luck, aspiring fitspo!
They make not look very appetizing . . . and they’re actually not. But they taste good!